Skip to main content

The Ray Bradbury Experiment

Years ago I read that at some point in his writing career Ray Bradbury wrote and published 52 stories a year (not sure for how long -- his website credits him with "over 500 short stories"). This is well known to his readers, but when I was reminded of it recently, I was still struck by its seeming impossibility. I can't say that every story of his -- that I've read, anyway -- is a classic, or even a must-read, but it's hard to find one that doesn't carry a certain Bradburian weight to it, and most of the time I marvel at how he matched quality with quantity. This is what he said in 2001 in his keynote address at Point Loma Nazarene, "If you can write one short story a week -- it doesn't matter what the quality is to start, but at least you're practicing, and at the end of the year you have 52 short stories, and I defy you to write 52 bad ones. Can't be done." Well, we'll see about that.

Many writers online, and offline I'd guess, have done what he suggested. (Try this: type the following into your search engine: bradbury + 52 stories a year. See what you get!) I've tried it at various times as well and have never advanced past the second story or so. Maybe I wasn't all in, or maybe it was too much for me. Either way, the thought of writing so much is daunting.

However, the idea that constant practice will produce something worth reading has nipped at my heels long enough that I've decided to modify Bradbury's suggestion. Instead of writing a short story a week, I've been giving myself two weeks. So far, the crunch of writing briskly has remained, while allowing me a bit more time to write.

Another piece of advice from Bradbury: don't think. In an interview in 1974, he said, "I've had a sign over my typewriter for over 25 years now, which reads 'Don't think!' You must never think at the typewriter -- you must feel. Your intellect is always buried in that feeling anyway." This is something I try to impress upon my students -- the first draft will be riddled with mistakes, of course! Just get the first draft out! Thinking comes with the second draft. And the third...

In order to follow Bradbury's advice, I'm beginning with a single word on the first day of each new story, and instead of panicking about what to write, I've allowed that word to work on me. I want images I can paint for you, and I've been trying to allow each word to begin a story that I can develop into something somewhat complete.

C.S. Lewis described a similar experience in his extremely short piece called "It All Began With a Picture." He wrote, "All my seven Narnian books, and my three science fiction books, began with seeing pictures in my head. At first they were not a story, just pictures. The Lion all began with a picture of a Faun carrying an umbrella and parcels in a snowy wood."

I've been working on this process since the end of February. I decided that if I didn't have some stories built up, and didn't first prove to myself that I could do this, then I wouldn't post anything about it. At this point, dear reader, you are at least guaranteed five stories, which will take us to July 1st. Past that, no guarantees.

So, with Bradbury and Lewis in mind, I'm going to post a short story every other week, beginning Monday, May 6th. I'll use the label 26 Stories 52 Weeks for each one, and we'll see if I can keep this up for a year -- I hope you'll make it a habit to stop by to at least check in on me...even if the stories themselves don't get you to come back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cottonwood

Let me tell you the story of this tree. It's around 7 years old--I know this because I pulled it out of a crack the first spring it popped up. I was walking with some students along the sidewalk, their chatter filling the air, and I spotted it: 3 or 4 sets of leaves waving like a mini flag right next to a car tire. It had rained a day or two before, so when I gently pulled on the trunk--which was more like a twig--it came up easily, roots and all. "What are you doing?" One of my students asked. "Saving this tree," I said. We headed inside to find a cup of water, and I explained just how I intended to save the tree. "It's dying." I assured them it would live. I explained--again--that if I left the roots in water and later planted and soaked it, it had a good chance. "It's dying." It's over seven years later, and every once in a while I remind one of the students with me that day that the tree is still alive. I've replanted it a

Silliness Solidifies Relationships

On February 8th, I posted an introduction of sorts called "Toward a Manifesto of Silliness." Every week since then I've written about silliness, mostly as a way to meditate on and answer the question: What makes silliness important? My family and I talked it over, and here are our answers: "Silliness is a Sign of Joy." "Silliness is Important Because We are Silly." "Silliness is Just Fun." "Silliness Helps Bring Balance." Thinking on and writing about those answers helped this last silly answer grow -- I had an idea at first, but those initial answers shaped how I thought/think about silliness. It was a suspicion that began the day my youngest son and I played our game of nothing. Remember? All this began with nothing. Try to imagine: First, we sat side by side, the whole room bright from the sun. Soon, he draped his arms around my neck, and because of the faces we'd been making, laughter took over. His brothers were close by,

A Return to Silliness in a Song

Some time ago, I wrote about silliness  (and more recently here ), but I come back to it because I need it--and because I can't help it. Nothing is quite like the pressure of Self Importance, and I'm so much more likely to snap at you when, clearly, my agenda is The Agenda. So, let's try something. I'll set my agenda down if you will. Deal? I'll even set mine down first--there; it looks so much smaller on the floor, doesn't it? Now it's your turn--for we've made a deal, and we have a song to sing. Please, silly songs don't work all that well when our arms are weighed down. Good--I know you feel better because I do, too. Now for the song. It's called "A Song Best Sung to Little Ones," and it goes like this: Wiggle your toes and scrunch up your nose-- Yes, like that--for you have them! Your toes And your nose, now what do they knows? How to wiggle and how to scrunch! "And what of my stuffy bears? What of Their noses and wiggledy toes