Skip to main content

Story Warren: Allies in Imagination

Some friends of our family loaned us a book called The Green Ember, by S.D. Smith in recent months, which led me to Story Warren. I've been encouraged by the blog posts that I've found there, but the overall purpose of the site is what keeps me going back. To quote the About page:

"Who are we?
Your Allies in Imagination.
What’s our purpose? 
Story Warren exists to serve you as you foster holy imagination in the children you love.
Why?
We hope God will use us to Kindle Imagination for Kingdom Anticipation."
Our boys are growing so quickly, and as we try to honor Jesus with our parenting, "Kingdom Anticipation" becomes more and more important. Looking for the work of the Holy Spirit, especially the work that is prepared for us, takes a holy imagination -- a heart and mind that is ready for God in all his startling ways.

I'm glad to report here that Story Warren has published a post of mine about reading Anne of Green Gables as a boy. My childhood was full of stories and imaginings, and those experiences are a parenting help these days.

Below you'll find a taste of "Anne of Green Gables: Boys Allowed:"

It is fitting that we begin on the roof. Long ago, when my parents first taught me to enjoy stories, I desired adventure and often found it on the top of our house. Yes, the somewhat dizzying height and challenge of walking upright on slanted asphalt shingles was an adventure. Yes, it felt daring to pick kumquats from the topmost branches that reached over the garage, leaning just far enough so my toes didn't slip from the edge. However, there were other adventures, too.

My mother was brave enough to climb with me on certain days, probably when I didn't really want to read, so that we could recline on the roof side by side. Then she read aloud while I stared at the sky or rolled twigs down into the backyard.

One of the stories that is burned on my memory is of a little girl named Anne, who walked along the very top of a roof to the horror of her friends -- so the rooftop remains to me a sign of sorts. You see, my mother knew I desired adventure, and that I would find a kindred spirit in the pages of Anne of Green Gables.

Go on to read the whole piece on Story Warren by clicking here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cottonwood

Let me tell you the story of this tree. It's around 7 years old--I know this because I pulled it out of a crack the first spring it popped up. I was walking with some students along the sidewalk, their chatter filling the air, and I spotted it: 3 or 4 sets of leaves waving like a mini flag right next to a car tire. It had rained a day or two before, so when I gently pulled on the trunk--which was more like a twig--it came up easily, roots and all. "What are you doing?" One of my students asked. "Saving this tree," I said. We headed inside to find a cup of water, and I explained just how I intended to save the tree. "It's dying." I assured them it would live. I explained--again--that if I left the roots in water and later planted and soaked it, it had a good chance. "It's dying." It's over seven years later, and every once in a while I remind one of the students with me that day that the tree is still alive. I've replanted it a

Silliness Is Important Because We Are Silly

Where have we been so far? In my introductory post,  Toward a Manifesto of Silliness , I wrote that I asked my family: "What makes silliness important?" The first answer: Silliness Is a Sign of Joy . Today, we're meditating on our second answer: Silliness is important because we are silly. As I explained about the first answer, this one also found me at a loss. It was a probing kind of answer, and, as we'll see in later posts, it's where I'm headed with all this nonsense. But hang with me here for now. Isn't the circular nature of this answer fitting? Silliness is important because we are silly; we are silly because it's important. As an argument, this circular kind rests at the peak of hilarity -- it's silly. And yet, the very nature of what we're discussing here requires a deep presupposition that can't be explained anyway. So we're fine with circular if you are. "Look around you," my son seemed to say. "Aren't WE s

Silliness Solidifies Relationships

On February 8th, I posted an introduction of sorts called "Toward a Manifesto of Silliness." Every week since then I've written about silliness, mostly as a way to meditate on and answer the question: What makes silliness important? My family and I talked it over, and here are our answers: "Silliness is a Sign of Joy." "Silliness is Important Because We are Silly." "Silliness is Just Fun." "Silliness Helps Bring Balance." Thinking on and writing about those answers helped this last silly answer grow -- I had an idea at first, but those initial answers shaped how I thought/think about silliness. It was a suspicion that began the day my youngest son and I played our game of nothing. Remember? All this began with nothing. Try to imagine: First, we sat side by side, the whole room bright from the sun. Soon, he draped his arms around my neck, and because of the faces we'd been making, laughter took over. His brothers were close by,