Skip to main content

Violet February


Later, when Joe Apis met his wife and children at the park, he would watch an early-waking bee search for pollen on his son's blue jacket sleeve, and it would remind him of the fuzzy buds outside the barber shop. He thought they looked like violet willow leaves wrapped up tight. The stems trembled in the unseasonably warm February air, and the minute tips glowed in the sun.

But now, as he sat in the swivel-chair, he looked at the floor where the tiles had been worn away to cement, and just beyond, where the metal curb's geometrical design had been rubbed away.

He was pushed around to face the back wall. He liked the black and white picture that hung there, the one of another barber shop showing men waiting for their shaves.

The clipper buzzed in his ear, and conversation floated back and forth over his head. A child played a videogame in the seat to his right; the themed music started and restarted. The television behind him was on, he knew, but with no sound -- the people on it smiled dramatic smiles and gestured excitedly at a large table on a cruiseship.

Another customer came in and seated himself in a chair along the back wall. Joe wanted to go on looking at the black and white picture, but the new customer sat near it and had glanced at him over his phone. Joe closed his eyes, and he noticed for the first time the heavy click of the clippers: on and off in step with the varied pattern of the barber's voice.

It wasn't clear whether the talking pair knew one another, but, of course, the barber had that particular ability of barbers that made everyone feel like a regular.

Joe was pushed back around so he could see outside. His eyes opened; this time the faces on the television smiled over a breakfast dish of baked eggs and bread. The child with the videogame raised his voice and said something that ended in a whine, and the electronic music began again.

Joe blinked slowly and let himself sigh.

The barber cut with scissors now. Soon, Joe's scalp relaxed under the touch of the comb-fingers, and for a moment he didn't hear anything, instead he focused on the chill sensation that coursed down his neck. The first sound to come back floated through the open door; it was the soft click of branches -- the buds crossed and recrossed in the light breeze.

The barber spun him around to the mirror, and he approved of what he saw. He scribbled out a check, hardly able to keep his eyes off the willow outside. When he stood in the sun next to the young tree, he remembered his family would be at the park close by; he walked down the sidewalk and knew he would find that his children had shed their jackets and would be flitting from swings, to slides, to monkeybars -- their faces radiant and shining with beads of sweat -- crossing and recrossing one another in their game. He smiled and picked up his pace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silliness Solidifies Relationships

On February 8th, I posted an introduction of sorts called "Toward a Manifesto of Silliness." Every week since then I've written about silliness, mostly as a way to meditate on and answer the question: What makes silliness important? My family and I talked it over, and here are our answers: "Silliness is a Sign of Joy." "Silliness is Important Because We are Silly." "Silliness is Just Fun." "Silliness Helps Bring Balance." Thinking on and writing about those answers helped this last silly answer grow -- I had an idea at first, but those initial answers shaped how I thought/think about silliness. It was a suspicion that began the day my youngest son and I played our game of nothing. Remember? All this began with nothing. Try to imagine: First, we sat side by side, the whole room bright from the sun. Soon, he draped his arms around my neck, and because of the faces we'd been making, laughter took over. His brothers were close by,

Cottonwood

Let me tell you the story of this tree. It's around 7 years old--I know this because I pulled it out of a crack the first spring it popped up. I was walking with some students along the sidewalk, their chatter filling the air, and I spotted it: 3 or 4 sets of leaves waving like a mini flag right next to a car tire. It had rained a day or two before, so when I gently pulled on the trunk--which was more like a twig--it came up easily, roots and all. "What are you doing?" One of my students asked. "Saving this tree," I said. We headed inside to find a cup of water, and I explained just how I intended to save the tree. "It's dying." I assured them it would live. I explained--again--that if I left the roots in water and later planted and soaked it, it had a good chance. "It's dying." It's over seven years later, and every once in a while I remind one of the students with me that day that the tree is still alive. I've replanted it a

A Return to Silliness in a Song

Some time ago, I wrote about silliness  (and more recently here ), but I come back to it because I need it--and because I can't help it. Nothing is quite like the pressure of Self Importance, and I'm so much more likely to snap at you when, clearly, my agenda is The Agenda. So, let's try something. I'll set my agenda down if you will. Deal? I'll even set mine down first--there; it looks so much smaller on the floor, doesn't it? Now it's your turn--for we've made a deal, and we have a song to sing. Please, silly songs don't work all that well when our arms are weighed down. Good--I know you feel better because I do, too. Now for the song. It's called "A Song Best Sung to Little Ones," and it goes like this: Wiggle your toes and scrunch up your nose-- Yes, like that--for you have them! Your toes And your nose, now what do they knows? How to wiggle and how to scrunch! "And what of my stuffy bears? What of Their noses and wiggledy toes